Best way to debug crashes?

Include the following details (edit as applicable):

  • Issue category: Developer Tools
  • Device type & OS version: iOS iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • Host machine & OS version: Mac
  • Issue Environment : On Device
  • Xcode version: 12.4
  • ARDK version: 0.11.0 then updated to 1.0.1
  • Unity version: 2019.4.29f1

Description of the issue:

I’m finding that my game is silently freezing on device after a few minutes. I’ve previously found that it seemed to be related to meshing and that reducing the “Target Frame Rate” (it’s currently at 10) in the ARMeshManager helped fix this in the past… but now I’m really unsure what could be triggering these freezes. Maybe that change just hid the problem for a bit and it could be something foolish on my end?

I thought I’d ask — XCode isn’t seeing any errors thrown. Does anyone have any tips for how to debug this further? Ways to potentially set up either Lightship or the overall Unity project to throw more errors? Ideas on what could cause my project to freeze up after a minute or so playing on an iPhone 12 Pro Max?

The only logs I’ve gotten when getting the freeze were these which I don’t think help shine any light on this:

2021-11-15 08:28:08.837823+1100 Game[48571:24600620] [tcp] tcp_input [C1.1.1:3] flags=[R] seq=3542122211, ack=0, win=0 state=LAST_ACK rcv_nxt=3542122211, snd_una=1756809982
2021-11-15 08:28:08.837949+1100 Game[48571:24600620] [tcp] tcp_input [C1.1.1:3] flags=[R] seq=3542122211, ack=0, win=0 state=CLOSED rcv_nxt=3542122211, snd_una=1756809982

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Hello Patrick,

We have looked up a few resources for you with regard to freezing applications. We will continue to do more research and see if we can find any more information. We also recommend deleting any old ARDK files and installing the beta by itself.

Please let us know if this helps.

Hi Patrick!

You could try the Unity profiler to see if anything strange is happening on the Unity side when the freeze occurs. Another option is the XCode profiler which could give you some insight on whether the freeze is related to memory of cpu usage.

Thanks everyone! I’m going to try a bunch of those suggestions and see whether anything pans out, i’ve tried a few of those before but I’ll use the suggestions as a list, try them all again and see whether I’ve missed anything… It just feels like when my app freezes… something has to be going on that’s reproducible in logs and maybe the profiler… will see!