Black screen on Android - Samsung S22

• Issue category: Unity Example Package
  • Device type & OS version: Android
  • Host machine & OS version: Windows
  • Issue Environment : On Device
  • ARDK version: 2.3.0
  • Unity version: 2021.3.11

Description of the issue:
I have been trying to set up the simple tutorial to detect planes and place a cube and also trying to build some of the sample scenes (spatial awareness). I get a black screen and no camera feed. I have requested camera permissions, have removed Vulkan, have set the required lines in the Android Manifest and the gradle file for API level 30 and higher. Not sure what could be going wrong. I have also read all previous issues with no camera feed and I have the right setup. Any ideas what could be happening?

Hi Camila,

I will be taking a look into this issue for you. Off the bat, the first thing that comes to mind would be the API key. Sometimes when users have two auth configs in their projects, they can get a black screen.

Note that the ARDK Examples package has its own Resources folder. If you’ve created your own like it’s referenced in this article, please remove the one the Examples comes with. The same would apply if you’re setting your API key via the Lightship Hub on the Unity toolbar. If you’re not using the Resources folder that comes in the Examples at all, just remove it.

If your project is using URP, please have a look at this article as well since not following these steps can also lead to a black screen.

Hi Jesus,
Thank you for your answer.
There is no Resources folder in the hierarchy under ARDKExamples. There are a few Resources folders present under ARDK, but are not related to the API Key.
I am not using URP.

Hello Camila,

Thank you for your response!

Could you please verify what version of gradle you’re running? ARDK 2.3 requires gradle version 6.7.1 or later as outlined in the Building for Android documentation. If you’re running a lower version, could you please upgrade it and follow the other instructions for targeting API Level 31 and let us know if that solves the issue?

If the issue persists, could you please provide us with the following information?

• When you run the sample scenes, is the screen completely black? Or are you able to see the UI elements?
  • To make sure you don’t have any additional AuthConfig assets hiding in your project, could you search ‘authconfig’ in your project view and make sure no duplicates show up?
  • Did your app prompt you to allow camera usage when you ran it?
  • Are you getting any error messages?
  • Could you please send screenshots of your Manifest, Build Settings, and Player Settings?

We appreciate your patience as we continue to investigate and troubleshoot this issue. Thank you!

Hi @dorc8, I am currently experiencing this same issue, have you been able to resolve it?

Same issues. Is there an outline for resolution?

Hello @Kyle_Scharpf and @hoanglan_nguyen

We would greatly appreciate it if you can submit separate topics in order to better assist you and avoid any confusion since there will be three separate users seeking help in this forum post. Additionally, we’re not sure if these issues are connected yet so this also helps us better assist you with your particular issue.

If you can create a new topic, we’d like for you to include the following:

• a detailed description of your issue
  • your Unity version
  • the ARDK version you’re using
  • what machine you’re developing on
  • the device and OS version you’re build to (Android or iOS)
  • any error messages you see on the android logcat when running your build