Camera image tearing on iOS16

• Issue category: Unity Example Package / General
  • Device type & OS version: iOS 16 on iPhone 13 Pro
  • Host machine & OS version: M1 MacBook Pro - macOS 12.6
  • Issue Environment : On Device
  • Xcode version: 14
  • ARDK version: 2.2.0
  • Unity version: 2021.3.7

I am posting this as a question to reopen the existing issue since I couldn’t comment on it anymore:

I am experiencing the same issue of tearing and stuttering of the camera image as the above post, but disabling the Multithreaded Rendering doesn’t help. As soon as the app framerate temporarily drops to just a bit below 60 (say 56 for a few frames), the image tearing appears.

Are there any other known workarounds until the new ARDK version comes out?

Hello Julian,

The ARDK 2.3 release is just around the corner. I am aware of how frustrating it can be to wait, but the only guidance I can give you is to wait for the new release.

Thanks Jason.
Will wait for the new release.

In the meantime, somehow the magic combination of Unity 2021.3.11 (INTEL) + Xcode 13.4.1 creates a build that doesn’t have jittering.

Hi Julian

Out of curiosity, have you updated to version 16.0.2 of iOS? I saw in their release notes that the update addresses shakiness with the camera when using 3rd party apps. Technically this is supposed to address an issue with iPhone 14 and you have the 13, but I think it would still be worth a try if you haven’t updated.

One additional side note: When using iOS 16, don’t use XCode 14, when attempting to build for iOS we found that XCode stumbles on a breakpoint that causes issues with debugging. I see that you’re using 13.4.1 so you’re good there

Hi Jesus,

Yes, I also saw the note in iOS 16.0.2 release notes and tried that but it didn’t fix the tearing.
I also experienced the issue with Xcode 14 that you mentioned so I reverted to 13.4.1 for that reason.

Will be trying out ARDK 2.3 now.
Thanks!

Hi Julian,

We will be looking into this issue further on our end, I will get back to you as soon as I have any more updates

Hi Julian,

Disregard my last reply, I misread your latest update and didn’t see the bit where you said you were going to be trying ARDK 2.3. Please let me know if the issue persists after upgrading to 2.3.