Can't run the segmentation example - get a black screen (ARcore support issue)

Include the following details (edit as applicable):

• Issue category: Semantic Segmentation
    Tools / Developer Tools / Networking
  • Device type & OS version: Android (Pixel 4a)
  • Host machine & OS version: Windows
  • Issue Environment : Unity Remote / Unity Mock / On Device / Dev Portal
  • Xcode version:
  • ARDK version:
  • Unity version: 2020.3.28

Description of the issue:
When building it to my mobile device I get an error message saying: “this application requires the latest version of Google Play Services for AR” - but I do have the latest version installed. I even tried to uninstall and re install but this issue still appears.

For Unity 2019 and Unity 2020, you’ll need to provide a custom AndroidManifest.xml that adds the query tag for ARCore. This can be achieved by,

1. Add a custom AndroidManifest.xml to your Unity project.
  2. Edit the custom AndroidManifest.xml and add a section.
    This will resolve the “this application requires the latest version of Google Play Services for AR” error message.
    For more information, you can check the “Building for Android 11 (API level 30) and higher” section from** **this documentation.

@Elite_Sher I personally never got the multi-step manifest addition process to work, but as an easy workaround, you can target a lower API level to avoid this error (as mentioned in the documentation). Go to Player Settings / Other, and under “Target API Level” pick anything that isn’t Android 11 or higher:

Works like a charm. Also see Semantic Segmentation Example Crashes On Android - #3 by Anthony_Melo

1 Like

Thanks @Michael_Becker! I actually managed to get it working (with the manifest additions).