Objects placed on the ground flicker

Include the following details (edit as applicable):

• Device type & OS version: Android (Pixel 4a)
  • Host machine & OS version: Windows
  • ARDK version: 1.3.1
  • Unity version: 2021.3.2

Description of the issue:
When an object is placed on the ground, it flashes continuously.

• ARDK version :1.3.1
  • Unity version :2021.3.2
  • Device type & OS version : pixel 4a /android
  • Host machine & OS version : Windows

I’ve only ever used the 2.0.0 API, but one of the tricks I spotted in the documentation (Depth-based Occlusions — Niantic Lightship Augmented Reality Developer Kit release-2.0 documentation but this might really be useful in any of the relevant Tutorials…) is to have an ARSemanticSegmentationManager in the scene to suppress the Ground channel (the screen region containing any camera feed pixels corresponding to the ground) from any detected plane or mesh occlusion, since where you place a model based on one frame of hit-test may drift in and out of where that groundplane (and whatever material it’s rendered with) drifts on subsequent frames, causing intermittent occlusion.

But if your object is vanishing completely on some regular e.g. every-other-frame basis, it might be you also have something fighting with the camera or the render pipeline in general. A couple things I’d check offhand:

• is any part of your project trying to actively control the scene camera? If so, disconnect it. ARDK is going to need complete uncontested access to the camera position/orientation/viewport to keep it aligned with the world.
  • Do other objects built persistently into your scene also vanish/jitter/etc., or is it strictly objects placed at runtime and strictly ones placed on the detected ground? This will at least help diagnose whether the problem is more likely in the camera/rendering or specifically in object placement / ground detection.

Hello Naveen,

Sorry to see you are having more difficulty. NNDev may be on the right track with suppressing the ground channel, however the most recent release (v.2.0.0) resolves the black screen issue you were facing from Tuesday, and may resolve this issue as well. Currently, the supported version of Unity is 2020.3 LTS, though I have tested 2021 to work in most cases. Generally, staying up to date with the most recent version, and on the supported version of Unity will provide the best results. Are you able to update your version of Lightship to the latest version? Please let me know if that works. If further assistance is needed, please provide a screenshot or video clip of the issue as well as a copy/paste of your console logs, or anything else that may help troubleshoot this issue.