• Issue category: Scanning Framework Private Beta
  • Device type & OS version: iOS
  • Host machine & OS version: Mac
  • Issue Environment : On Device
  • Xcode version: 14.1
  • ARDK version: 2.3 v6
  • Unity version: 2020.3.1f1

Description of the issue:
When using the Scanning scene from the ARDK Examples package, the app crashes after around 10 seconds of scanning, regardless of scan settings (Area / Detail, Quality, Distance). This makes it difficult to get solid scans, because rushing to scan objects within a 10 second window often results in an incomplete mesh.

When running through Xcode, I was seeing these logs:

2022-11-10 14:54:42.985839-0500 AppName[614:25192] Apple A12Z GPU
[14:54:43.010600 -05:00] [---E---] [scanning_engine.cpp] [thread 25192] Failed to preprare DataWriter: /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/app-guid/Library/Caches/scankit/TModuUrlThread Performance Checker: Thread running at QOS_CLASS_USER_INTERACTIVE waiting on a thread without a QoS class specified. Investigate ways to avoid priority inversions
PID: 614, TID: 24971

The “Thread running at QOS_CLASS_USER_INTERACTIVE” part of that message appears several times on its own as well.

And then the failure of the app occurs with multiple logs saying:

WARNING -> applicationDidReceiveMemoryWarning()

The mesh quality seems a lot better with the latest update, and we’re really excited for the Detail mode with that! If there are any thoughts on getting it more stable, please let me know.

Thank you!
~Joel

Hi Joel, thanks for reporting this! Crashing after 10 seconds of scanning is definitely not expected.

Can you try upgrading to the latest build and seeing if you are able to reproduce the issue? If so, would it be possible for you to attach the full log? Thanks!

Hey Kito,

No problem! As it turns out, we were at fault for some heavy processing in trying to store camera poses during scans. I severely limited the framerate on that process and the scene seems to work fine now, with scans upwards of 30 seconds having no issues.

My apologies for the improper report. I’ll keep a closer eye on these changes.

Thank you!
~Joel

1 Like

Great! Glad to hear you figured it out.