VPS mesh data during runtime

My team and i are looking at creating a location-based physics game where it would be very useful to have access to the mesh of a VPS location after successfully localizing it. Would it be feasible to download a (low-res verson of a) mesh that is connected to said VPS waypoint/location?

Hello Merjin,

Thank you for your interest in this feature.

You can only download a mesh for your Private VPS Location that you can use for development purposes. Please refer to the downloading-meshes link to see how you can download the private mesh data.
We would suggest you to generate your own private scans while on-location and save them to a binary file to be transferred to your own project by following this tutorial.
Also please refer to Advanced Tutorial: Meshing and Collisions documentation where you can use an ARMeshManager component combined with the MeshColliderChunk mesh prefab (step 6) to generate a mesh of the environment at run-time that supports collision detection.
This would allow your players to interact with the environment with physics-enabled GameObjects, and help you to make sure that the collision mesh reflects the current environment instead of relying on a potentially-outdated scan from the VPS service.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I have made some apps already with realtime meshing that have collisions, this worked quite well but on slower devices it took some time to scan the environment first so i was hoping we could load a pre-scanned mesh from within VPS.

Your idea of saving private scans and loading them into a VPS location payload would work for our private waypoints so i’ll give that a shot!
Also i do understand that this situation is quite specific and your concerns regarding the out of date meshes is very valid, which i didn’t consider when asking the question.

Hej @Merijn_Kersten , I am currently facing the same issue and i was wondering if you had any updates you could share!
Did you try saving your private scans and loading them into a VPS location payload?
Thanks in advance! :smiley:

Hey @Agostino_Reddel !
So what i ended up doing was integrating the remote authoring tool in my projects, that’s a beta feature of lightship. But from there it’s the same solution, loading the private or public mesh and adding a mesh collider to that and keep meshing on so it can slowly fill in the gaps.
You can now also prioritise meshing to far away, this way the quality will be a bit lower but it’s useful for larger spaces.
If you don’t have access to this beta feature you could ask on discord maybe or else you can localize using this method: Origin Anchor for Private Test Meshes