Best practice for gps/location-based functionality in Lightship?

Include the following details (edit as applicable):

• Issue category: Lightship Maps / Multiplayer / Real-time Mapping-Depth / Developer Tools
  • Device type & OS version: Android
  • Host machine & OS version: Windows
  • ARDK version: 2.5.2
  • Unity version: 2020.3.34

Description of the issue:

I’m part of a team developing an app with real world loaction elements similar to Niantic’s suite of apps (Pokemon GO, Marvel World of Heroes, etc). The user’s location and IRL proximity to other users’ created work is an important part of the project, so I was wondering if there was a “prefered” way to get the user’s location and register IRL locations. I have some experience with ArcGIS but I assume Lightship has its own code for this and I just haven’t found it yet. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi Charles,

Our location based system is called the Visual Positioning System (VPS) and its intended use is for locations to be registered at development time rather than at runtime. Locations in the VPS are called Wayspots and are subject to approval by the Niantic’s Trust and Safety team which is why “just in time” location registration isn’t within intended use. With that being said, I would recommend checking out our wiki articles on Localizing with VPS and Using the VPS Coverage API for more in-depth information about how you would programmatically retrieve nearby registered locations (Wayspots) and localize.

Kind Regards,
Maverick L.