Building ARDK 3.1 to iOS causes XCODE Error

Unity 2022 LTS, Mac M1 Ventura, ARDK 3.1 , iPhone 11

How to reproduce: Create an empty project with ARDK 3.1 installed. Set-up the scene with an XR Origin and AR Session and build to to iOS. Build successful. Then in XCode build it to your phone.

Error message:

[Override_iOS load]
[UnityMemory] Configuration Parameters - Can be set up in boot.config
“memorysetup-allocator-temp-initial-block-size-main=262144”
“memorysetup-allocator-temp-initial-block-size-worker=262144”
“memorysetup-bucket-allocator-granularity=16”
“memorysetup-bucket-allocator-bucket-count=8”
“memorysetup-bucket-allocator-block-size=4194304”
“memorysetup-bucket-allocator-block-count=1”
“memorysetup-main-allocator-block-size=16777216”
“memorysetup-thread-allocator-block-size=16777216”
“memorysetup-gfx-main-allocator-block-size=16777216”
“memorysetup-gfx-thread-allocator-block-size=16777216”
“memorysetup-cache-allocator-block-size=4194304”
“memorysetup-typetree-allocator-block-size=2097152”
“memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-granularity=16”
“memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-bucket-count=8”
“memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-block-size=4194304”
“memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-block-count=1”
“memorysetup-profiler-allocator-block-size=16777216”
“memorysetup-profiler-editor-allocator-block-size=1048576”
“memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-main=4194304”
“memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-block-size=2097152”
“memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-block-size-background=1048576”
“memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-reduction-small-platforms=262144”
“memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-background-worker=32768”
“memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-job-worker=262144”
“memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-preload-manager=262144”
“memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-nav-mesh-worker=65536”
“memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-audio-worker=65536”
“memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-cloud-worker=32768”
“memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-gfx=262144”
Built from ‘2022.3/staging’ branch, Version ‘2022.3.14f1 (eff2de9070d8)’, Build type ‘Release’, Scripting Backend ‘il2cpp’
MemoryManager: Using ‘Default’ Allocator.
→ applicationDidFinishLaunching()
[Physics::Module] Initialized MultithreadedJobDispatcher with 5 workers.
[Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/8AF396CC-8F51-4DC9-BADE-0095B20D74C6/Humming Havoc.app/Data/UnitySubsystems
[Subsystems] No descriptors matched for examples in UnitySubsystems/LightshipARDK/UnitySubsystemsManifest.json.
[Subsystems] 1 ‘inputs’ descriptors matched in UnitySubsystems/LightshipARDK/UnitySubsystemsManifest.json
[Subsystems] No descriptors matched for displays in UnitySubsystems/LightshipARDK/UnitySubsystemsManifest.json.
[Subsystems] 1 ‘meshings’ descriptors matched in UnitySubsystems/LightshipARDK/UnitySubsystemsManifest.json
[Subsystems] No descriptors matched for examples in UnitySubsystems/UnityARKit/UnitySubsystemsManifest.json.
[Subsystems] 1 ‘inputs’ descriptors matched in UnitySubsystems/UnityARKit/UnitySubsystemsManifest.json
[Subsystems] No descriptors matched for displays in UnitySubsystems/UnityARKit/UnitySubsystemsManifest.json.
[Subsystems] 1 ‘meshings’ descriptors matched in UnitySubsystems/UnityARKit/UnitySubsystemsManifest.json
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1; jobified=0
Initializing Metal device caps: Apple A13 GPU
Initialize engine version: 2022.3.14f1 (eff2de9070d8)
The referenced script (Unknown) on this Behaviour is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘’) is missing!
XRGeneral Settings awakening…
UnityEngine.XR.Management.XRGeneralSettings:Awake()

libc++abi: terminating due to uncaught exception of type Il2CppExceptionWrapper

I also got these messages:
Assertion failed: (false && “compact unwind compressed function offset doesn’t fit in 24 bits”), function operator(), file Layout.cpp, line 5758.

Linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Investigation further I also got this Error Message:

[12:57:51.062164 +01:00] [—E—] [argeo/ardk-next/unity/cc/user/meshing/meshing_provider_api.cc:19] [thread 77064] assertion failed: meshing_interface.IsValid()

I restarted my phone and my computer and I also created another new project. When I build an empty project to my phone anything works as expected, when I install Lightship I get the error messages above.

Update: I started another try , creating a blank 3D Project installing AR Foundation → Build → Everything worked perfectly on device. Then I installed ARDK 3.1, In editor testing worked fine with playback → Build succeeded but got the same Thread 1 error again.

I uploaded the whole project here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KITHhSy2dTMkF0tzZnF0SY3Pzo4Ozx1v?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!

TLDR: ARDK 3 and 3.1 seem to not work with 2022.3.13 or 14 , though 2022.3.11 works with with Mac OS Sonoma / m1

Hi Tobias,

I was able to confirm your report from my own testing on iOS 17, and have escalated this to our development team. Thank you for taking the time to report this, and I hope that we will be able to get an official fix out as soon as possible!

As you pointed out, please continue to use Unity 2022.3.11 for iOS 17 builds in the meantime.

Kind Regards,
Maverick L.

1 Like

Hi Maverick, do you mind checking also on Lighthship Maps? I get this build error still when trying to integrate Maps and build it to iOS 17 on 2022.3.11.f1

Assertion failed: (false && “compact unwind compressed function offset doesn’t fit in 24 bits”), function operator(), file Layout.cpp, line 5758.

Linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

EDIT: this error appears to me when using the Lightship samples and trying to build the VPS localization scene to my phone with Xcode.

TLDR: it is because I copied the ARDK Examples into an existing project and there seems to be some issues with the Settings files.

EDIT 2: It appears that some files in the ARDK samples → Common cause this error when being imported into a project. So if you create and ARDK3 project, then import the common folder from the samples and then build it to iOS 17 with the latest XCODE version it will cause this error

Hello,
Any solution? I start to having the same issue:
It is a new project, I’m not using ARDK Samples.

I’m using Unity 2022.3.10f1

It might have something to-do with URP and which renderer is selected. Just had the issue again and removed URP. Then it worked again

@Maverick_Liberty , do you have some advice for the second “Assertion failed” error? It seems to appear really randomly

Some iOS 17 developers have found that adding linker flag -ld64 to Other Linker Flags in Xcode resolved their build issues. For more information on this workaround, please check out this Unity Forums post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/project-wont-build-using-xode15-release-candidate.1491761/page-2.

Happy Holidays!

Thanks. I had the same issue. You are correct. Im trying to build for iOS 17.
I did the fix you mentioned and now project builds successfully.
https://forum.unity.com/threads/project-wont-build-using-xode15-release-candidate.1491761/page-2#post-9389312

Happy Holidays! :partying_face:

1 Like

That saved me, thanks and happy holidays!