Can’t activate waypoint

Include the following details while filing a bug report (edit as applicable):

• Issue category: Lightship Maps / Semantic Segmentation / Multiplayer / Real-time Mapping-Depth / ARDK Documentation / Unity Example Package / Sample App aka ‘AR Voyage’ / ARDK Virtual Studio Tools / Developer Tools / Networking / VPS /Scanning Framework
  • Device type & OS version: iOS 17 on iPhone 15
  • Host machine & OS version: iphone
  • Issue Environment : Unity Remote / Unity Mock / On Device / Dev Portal
  • Xcode version:
  • ARDK version: 3.1.2
  • Unity version:

Bug reproduction steps:

I can send request for activation but the app seem reject my request. The situation as below.

1 Like

Hello Welgeorge,

This behavior of the Wayfarer app is known and expected as it can take some time to reflect the activation status. That being said, if you try to activate your location via the Lightship Geospatial Browser and get ‘Error: Unable to request a VPS Activation,’ this is due to the rate limits for activations that Niantic has implemented. Our best recommendation in this case is to wait and try to activate again later.

In the meantime, I recommend reviewing our Scanning Best Practices to ensure you are uploading the highest-quality scans possible.

Is there some sort of time frame until the rate limiting will be removed? The fact that the core component of Lightship is effectively useless (and has been for months) does not give me a lot of hope to the future of this product.

Hello Aaron,

We do not have any further information regarding how long the limits will be active at this time. We appreciate your understanding.

As of around December 15, each user gets a limit of 10 scans. Check your emails - did you get ten since then?

Niantic says we have to wait “a while” to activate again, but many of us have waited 4 months and still can’t activate anything. It acts as you describe - you can use the Activate Wayspot button, but if you leave the wayspot view and then go back in, it is as if you never pushed the button. And you never get an email.

I suspect they intended to make a ten PER DAY limit, and accidentally made a 10 EVER limit.

You can still activate them, you just have to be really lucky when you click the button, and attempt it frequently. The 10 activation cap was changed months ago, when they made it way harder to activate. Basically, they don’t want any business or customers. They are simply slowly digging their own grave.

And today! Managed to get six activated at about the same time!!