Is there any plan to allow private VPS scans for shipped products vs. just developer tests?

I’m working on a project that consists of an AR walking tour and various points of interest at which the user is able to scan a local scene to experience AR content. The Lightship VPS features sound incredible, especially the ability to combine multiple scans for maximum localization capability, but in my case it’s not usable since some of the points of interest don’t meet Niantic’s criteria. The tour takes place along various walkways and intentionally includes unusual objects to scan.

I was wondering if there’s any plan to allow users to generate and manage private scans that best fit their app’s criteria, including in their shipped apps? Thank you!

Hello Lucas,

We do not currently have any plans to support private scans for published apps. Private scans are less stable than public due to being a single mesh, and we cannot guarantee consistent performance if using them beyond their intended testing purposes.

Unfortunately, if the objects do not meet our criteria for a public wayspot, you may need to consider other objects nearby instead for this experience at this time.

Hows your proejct coming along? I’m doing it in Malta, we should touch base: michael@metaverse-architects.com