Shared AR Meshing (not working ?)

Hey y’all,

I’m currently working on a multiplayer prototype that is supposed to use AR Meshing (ARDK 3.3). However I’m not quite sure how to get it working in a correct way. I simply set it up the normal way, adding a empty game object to my XR Origin and adding the lightship meshing extension ( Mesh Manager) and creating an AR Mesh prefab.

So far it seems like both phones are doing their own meshing, but it’s not shared.

Can anyone tell me if the game-object that holds the mesh managers or the AR Mesh prefab should have a network object script attached or what else I need to do to get a coherent shared mesh?

Thanks a bunch in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Tobias,

Would you be able to provide me with videos or screenshots of each device so we can see the difference in meshing?

Hi Josh, you can see it in this video, starting 0:14. The Mesh is not the same on both devices. I thought in Shared AR it might create a “monolithic” mesh , based on both players input.

Hi Josh, I tested the prototype shown above today again and the major issue is, since both players have their own meshing, they can’t shoot each other due to the height difference / different depth perception of the meshes. So would be awesome if there was a solution for this

Can you provide me with screenshots of how you set up both the **AR Mesh Manager **and the Network Manager?

Yes of course, here the are:

By default, the Network Manager component does not automatically share meshing and the Mesh Manager will handle meshing locally. If you use SharedSpaceManager with either VPS or Image Tracking, it should make it so that all objects under the Shared Space root match with physical space. However, this might not be what you need, as it might not be super performant.

Could you give me more details about what you are trying to use the mesh for? Is it simply for determining hit detection between the players and is there a reason you decided to go with the shared meshing approach?

Thank you josh :slight_smile: Yes I need shared meshing as in my game, both players should be running around on the same map. If there is no shared meshing, it sometimes happens that the players are not on the same height for example and can’t shoot each other at all.

I’m currently recording a tutorial for my Youtube Channel Alive Studios and would like to explain shared meshing in that video. That’s why I wanted to ask you.

The thing is, that I’m even using the Shared space Manager, it is added to my XR Origin.

Here is the way I init my Shared AR Session:
using System;
using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using Colocalization;
using GameManager;
using Niantic.Lightship.SharedAR.Colocalization;
using Unity.Netcode;
using UnityEngine;
using UnityEngine.Serialization;
using UnityEngine.UI;

public class StartNetworkingManagerSharedARImage : NetworkBehaviour
{
[SerializeField] private SharedSpaceManager _sharedSpaceManager;
const int MAX_AMOUNT_CLIENTS_ROOM = 4;

[SerializeField] private Texture2D _targetImage;
[SerializeField] private float _targetImageSize;
private string roomName = "TestRoom";

[SerializeField] private Button StartGameButton; 
[SerializeField] private Button CreateRoomButton;
[SerializeField] private Button JoinRoomButton;
private bool isHost;

public static StartNetworkingManagerSharedARImage Instance;

public static event Action OnStartSharedSpaceHost;
public static event Action OnStartSharedSpaceClient;

public static event Action OnSharedSpaceStarted;

public static event Action OnStartGame;
// public event Action On

private Action<Texture2D> _onTextureRenderedAction;

private void Awake()
{
    Instance = this; 
    DontDestroyOnLoad(gameObject);
    _sharedSpaceManager.sharedSpaceManagerStateChanged += SharedSpaceManagerOnSharedSpaceManagerStateChanged;

CreateRoomButton.onClick.AddListener(StartHost);
    JoinRoomButton.onClick.AddListener(StartClient);
    StartGameButton.onClick.AddListener(StartNetworkGame);

StartGameButton.interactable = false;

_onTextureRenderedAction = (tex2d) =>
    {
        SetTargetImage(tex2d);
        StartSharedSpace();
    };

SetColocalizationImage.OnTextureRendered += _onTextureRenderedAction;
    SetSharedRoomName.OnSetSharedRoomName += SetSharedRoomNameOnOnSetSharedRoomName;
}

private void SetSharedRoomNameOnOnSetSharedRoomName(string name)
{
    Debug.Log("Setting Shared Room Name to " +name);
    roomName = name; 
}

public override void OnDestroy()
{
    Debug.Log("StartNetworkingManager OnNetworkDespawn");
    _sharedSpaceManager.sharedSpaceManagerStateChanged -= SharedSpaceManagerOnSharedSpaceManagerStateChanged;

SetColocalizationImage.OnTextureRendered -= _onTextureRenderedAction;
}

private void SetTargetImage(Texture2D newTarget)
{
    _targetImage = newTarget;
}

private void SharedSpaceManagerOnSharedSpaceManagerStateChanged(SharedSpaceManager.SharedSpaceManagerStateChangeEventArgs obj)
{
    Debug.Log("SharedSpaceManager -> SharedSpaceState  Change =>  Tracking =" + obj.Tracking);
    if (obj.Tracking)
    {
        StartGameButton.interactable = true;
        CreateRoomButton.interactable = false;
        JoinRoomButton.interactable = false;
    }
}

void StartNetworkGame()
{
    OnStartGame?.Invoke();

if (isHost)
    {
        NetworkManager.Singleton.StartHost();
    }
    else
    {
        NetworkManager.Singleton.StartClient();
    }

}

private void StartSharedSpace()
{
    OnSharedSpaceStarted?.Invoke();

Debug.Log("SettingSharedSpace name to " + roomName);

if (_sharedSpaceManager.GetColocalizationType() ==
        SharedSpaceManager.ColocalizationType.MockColocalization)
    {
        // Set room to connect
        var mockTrackingArgs = ISharedSpaceTrackingOptions.CreateMockTrackingOptions();
        var roomArgs = ISharedSpaceRoomOptions.CreateLightshipRoomOptions(
            roomName,
            "vps colocalization demo (mock mode)"
        );
        _sharedSpaceManager.StartSharedSpace(mockTrackingArgs, roomArgs);
        return;
    }

Debug.Log("Start shared space");

var imageTrackingOptions = ISharedSpaceTrackingOptions.CreateImageTrackingOptions(
        _targetImage, _targetImageSize);

var roomOptions = ISharedSpaceRoomOptions.CreateLightshipRoomOptions(
        roomName,
        MAX_AMOUNT_CLIENTS_ROOM,
        "image tracking colocalization"
    );

_sharedSpaceManager.StartSharedSpace(imageTrackingOptions, roomOptions);
}

public void StartHost()
{
    //Create the image localization
    OnStartSharedSpaceHost?.Invoke();
    isHost = true;
    Debug.Log("StartSharedSpace Host");
    // StartSharedSpace(roomName);
}

public void StartClient()
{
    //Create the image localization
    OnStartSharedSpaceClient?.Invoke();
    isHost = false;
    Debug.Log("StartSharedSpace Client");
    // StartSharedSpace(roomName);
}

}

Still it does not seems like the mesh is actually shared. Is there anything I might have missed?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

It appears that shared meshing isn’t a built-in functionality, so you would have to write your own network behavior to simulate what the meshing manager does to make meshes appear for remote clients. Something to also consider is that consistently sending that many vertices through the network would be inefficient.

That being said, if that map is going to always be the same, you could simply generate a mesh of that map beforehand for the host to use.

Some alternative approaches could involve relying on server-side hitboxes to adjust for the inaccuracies in the y-positioning. That or redirecting the bullet during the on-fire event such that the bullet pathing would be corrected if the y position isn’t too egregious and within the limits you set.

If it’s been resolved, can you tell me how you did it?

Alright, that’s what I thought, thanks a bunch for helping me @Josh1 , I really appreciate it!