Stability of water and sky query

Hi team, :wave:
I was wondering if you could help me answer the following questions?

• I understand that Lightship VPS requires a recognizable anchoring surface feature. Say if the user was able to scan the ground first and/or any nearby landmark and then walk over towards a dock to see a ship floating in the water, would we loose tracking? Would it slide?

• What about if I were to place the object in the sky (not so high) eg. a UFO spaceship suspended in the air, would it be quite stable if I didn’t get to keep in frame the original anchoring points that triggered the AR experience? I can still scan the ground first and look up, but my concern is if when I look up, whether it would be anchored or would there be a chance for it to shift slightly?

• Does Lightship VPS work best with physical locations that are not constantly shifting like the water or pointing at the sky? (if I originally scanned a distinctive ground area first)

• Can I use my own GPS map and use Lightship VPS only to display the AR?

Thank you for your help :pray:

• Issue category: Lightship Maps / Real-time Mapping-Depth / ARDK Virtual Studio Tools / Developer Tools / Networking / VPS / Scanning Framework

Hi @Conical , let me see if I can answer all your questions.

I understand that Lightship VPS requires a recognizable anchoring surface feature. Say if the user was able to scan the ground first and/or any nearby landmark and then walk over towards a dock to see a ship floating in the water, would we loose tracking? Would it slide?

So, you would eventually lose localization, if you walk away far enough from the wayspot, turning away from it may also unload the asset ( I believe the unloading can be avoided but by default that’s how that works).

What about if I were to place the object in the sky (not so high) eg. a UFO spaceship suspended in the air, would it be quite stable if I didn’t get to keep in frame the original anchoring points that triggered the AR experience? I can still scan the ground first and look up, but my concern is if when I look up, whether it would be anchored or would there be a chance for it to shift slightly?

So, I mentioned in the previous answer, but by default the anchor unloads when you look away from the anchor, there’s workaround for this, situation, as a simple example, the prefab does not have to be in the anchor’s location and it can move around, so as long as the anchor is in view of the camera, the prefab will be visible.

Does Lightship VPS work best with physical locations that are not constantly shifting like the water or pointing at the sky? (if I originally scanned a distinctive ground area first).

Short answer yes, but I guess it’d depend on your use case, some features might be unnafected but things like occlusion would definitely work best on stable surface like floors than say, water.

Can I use my own GPS map and use Lightship VPS only to display the AR?

Yes, though I guess I should mention VPS will use your location when trying to localize, but I think you’re pretty much asking Do I have to use Lightship maps? and the answer to that is no. You can use you own gps map and couple it with our coverage api to get where the VPS activated wayspots are. These things are all decoupled from each other so you can mix and match and replace as you see fit.

1 Like

Thank you Gilberto! :smile: