Include the following details (edit as applicable):

• Issue category: VPS
  • Device type & OS version: Android
  • Host machine & OS version: Windows
  • Issue Environment :
  • ARDK version: ARDK 3.0 beta
  • Unity version: 2021.3.12

Description of the issue:

When I take mesh of inside building location with Wayfarer application, the mesh turns out to be poor quality. And the application says that when i take mesh with the application inside the building, it will consistently be the poor quality.

I want to know the reason why taking mesh from indoor is not recommended. What is the reason? (for ex, When we take mesh, GPS has to be turned on, so indoor is hard, Or, Indoor mesh lacks of natural light, so it’s hard to get accurate mesh of the location, Or Else…)

And want to know if i can solve the reason, because i want to use VPS system even inside the building.

Is is possible to get mesh of inside building location from using meshing system (building application with using meshing function) and use that mesh for VPS? ( Trying this for finding way to use VPS system inside the building )

If it’s 'possible, please give me detailed explanation. Thank you.

Hi Olivia, Niantic prioritizes outdoor use in all its products as part of their overall philosophy. Their scanning tools are meant to account for the changing conditions that can occur with natural outdoor light. On top of that VPS uses satellite positioning and runs into its own issues when trying to localize indoors, particularly in multistory steel and concrete structures. That being said, Lightship is evolving and improving rapidly and more options are opening up with each new iteration. I’d encourage you to keep an eye on our forums for new developments that may apply to your project. Thank you!

-Bill

1 Like

Has there been any further developments with this at all?

Hi Nathaniel,

Could you create a new thread with a bit more information about your project? We’ve had some developers have success scanning and getting indoor spaces to work with VPS, but these spaces are usually single-story structures with good internet connectivity.

Best,
Maverick L.