Lightship Winter Challenge is LIVE

The Lightship Winter Challenge gives you the chance to turn your creativity and AR skills into cash! Entrants will submit a demo video and project code base to showcase their build. Feel free to use our Voyage App templates as part of your submission!

Remember, our technology encourages people to go outside, exercise, and maybe most importantly, connect with other people in the world. These are attributes we hope to see baked into the AR experiences you create!

Prizes

Best in Show $10,000 USD

One (1) entrant will be selected as the “Best in Show” winner. This entrant’s AR experience will demonstrate the best of what Lightship can do! The selected “Best in Show” entrant will receive a $10,000 USD cash prize.

Best Use of Understanding $5,000 USD

One (1) entrant will be selected as the “Best Use of Understanding” winner. This entrant’s AR experience will highlight Lightship’s “Understanding” capabilities (i.e. semantic segmentation). The selected “Best Use of Understanding” entrant will receive a $5,000 USD cash prize.

Best Use of Mapping $5,000 USD

One (1) entrant will be selected as the “Best Use of Mapping” winner. This entrant’s AR experience will highlight Lightship’s “Mapping” capabilities (i.e. depth estimation, real-time meshing, and occlusion). The selected “Best Use of Mapping” entrant will receive a $5,000 USD cash prize.

Best Use of Sharing $5,000 USD

One (1) entrant will be selected as the “Best Use of Sharing” winner. This entrant’s AR experience will highlight Lightship’s “Sharing” capabilities (i.e. realtime AR multiplayer, networking, and AR backend services). The selected “Best Use of Sharing” entrant will receive a $5,000 USD cash prize.

Honorable Mentions $1,000 USD

Twenty (20) unique entrants will be selected as “Honorable Mention” winners. Each selected “Honorable Mention” entrant will receive a $1,000 USD cash prize.

4 Likes

To be eligible to enter the Contest, you must:

• not be a resident any of the following countries; the Balkans, Belarus, Brazil, Burma, China, Cote D’ivoire (Ivory Coast), Crimea, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Liberia, North Korea, Pakistan, Quebec, Russia, Spain, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, Zimbabwe or any country, state, province or territory where the laws of the United States or local law prohibits participating or receiving a prize in the Contest;

Hi Lightship team, I’m a developer from China. Is there any chance that I could participate the Contest? really love lightship ARDK.

Could anyone explain why some countries, Spain among them, are excluded from participation? I’m Spanish and I’m sure there are a lot of talents in that countries. It’s a pity.
On the other hand, any other way to participate?

1 Like

Hi Yanan_guo, Thank you for your question. We will post a response from our legal counsel soon.

Hi Jesus_Valderrama, Thank you for your question. We will post a response from our legal counsel soon.

Hi Jesus_Valderrama, Companies need to comply with specific rules and requirements in order to open up contests to entrants from certain countries. We’re working on making sure we can open up the contest to a broader range of participants in the future so please check back for future challenges.

1 Like

Hi, Companies need to comply with specific rules and requirements in order to open up contests to entrants from certain countries. We’re working on making sure we can open up the contest to a broader range of participants in the future so please check back for future challenges.

Excuse me, but I don’t fully understand the situation. Me and my team are in Turkey and we are Turkish. Will we participate in this competition?

Where can we find detailed information about the conditions of the competition? We have done a lot of preparation for the competition and we are going into the production process very soon.

I have never encountered such a situation before. I am very worried right now. Can someone please explain to me?

Hi Umut,
I will chat with the team. Please know that all of Niantic is out for the holidays so it may take a bit of time to get a response back. It is my goal to find a way for you and your team to be able to submit your project. Thank you for reaching out.

Hi Hali,

First of all, thanks for your quick response.

I get messages from many developers because they will not be able to participate in the competition. I hope this problem as soon as possible can be resolved.

Since we learned this news, unfortunately we have to suspend the project. For this reason, we may not be able to create the demo we dreamed of until the deadline. In addition, we encounter many failures. It takes a lot of time to solve them. Even if this problem is solved, we may not be able to raise it :frowning:

I hope you can find the best solution for us.

Best,

Hi Umut, Thanks for letting me know. It saddens me you have had to suspend your project. Right now our staff is on holiday for the next 7 days. I will check in with the staff as soon as possible. Someone in the Discord made a good point, you could team up with someone from one of the eligible countries to enter. I know this likely isn’t ideal, but it could be a a solution. Either way, i will check with our staff as soon as possible.

1 Like

will the privacy of our project code base be protected somehow if we submit to the competition? thanks

Hi Ross! Great question! Your code base will not be made public.

Hello - I forgot to add a Readme to my project with a few instructions on it… is there any way i can send on that info now? thanks

Ross, sorry we missed this! Were you able to send it in?

Hello, no not yet - what email address should I use? Thanks

DM’ing you my email. Thanks for raising this.