No Adaptive Performance provider error - iOS Build

• Issue category: Developer Tools
  • Device type & OS version: iOS
  • Host machine & OS version: Mac

Description of the issue:
So when I’m trying to build on iOS a test placement project following the tutorial I run into this message in the middle of the build:

“No Adaptive Performance provider package installed. Adaptive Performance requires a provider to get information during runtime. Please install a provider such as Adaptive Performance Samsung (Android) from the Adaptive Performance Settings.”

But they only give me solutions for Android, I couldn’t find anything for iOS and I don’t see how to deactivate this Adaptive Performance option (there is a check box in the settings but even if I uncheck it for iOS it still gives me that message when I’m building).

Thanks for any help

Arnaud

Hi Arnaud,

If you don’t need it for something else, have you tried uninstalling Adaptive Performance using Unity’s Package Manager?

To do so:

1. Open the Unity project.
  2. From the Menu Bar, select Window > Package Manager.
  3. Find the Adaptive Performance package.
  4. Check the available versions of Adaptive Performance listed, and click the Remove button for any that are installed.

Also, please keep in mind that the officially supported version of Unity is currently 2019.4 LTS, so switching over to that version may help if all else fails."

Thanks for your help Moranda. I’m working on a M1 Mac so 2019 is not an option for me unfortunately.

But I followed your instructions and was able to desinstall the Adaptive Performance package.

I still get some errors when trying to build for that ARDK placement scene example.

Here is what the console is telling me:

LocationService class is used but Locations Usage Description is empty. App will not work on iOS 10+.
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)

Exception: A required capability description is not set.
UnityEditor.iOS.PostProcessiPhonePlayer.PostProcess (UnityEditor.iOS.PostProcessiPhonePlayer+BuildSettings bs, UnityEditor.iOS.PostProcessiPhonePlayer+ProjectPaths paths, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport buildReport) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/iPhonePlayer/Extensions/Common/BuildPostProcessor.cs:897)
UnityEditor.iOS.PostProcessiPhonePlayer.PostProcess (UnityEditor.iOS.PostProcessorSettings postProcessorSettings, UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/iPhonePlayer/Extensions/Common/BuildPostProcessor.cs:695)
UnityEditor.iOS.iOSBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/iPhonePlayer/Extensions/Common/ExtensionModule.cs:45)
Rethrow as BuildFailedException: Exception of type ‘UnityEditor.Build.BuildFailedException’ was thrown.
UnityEditor.iOS.iOSBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/iPhonePlayer/Extensions/Common/ExtensionModule.cs:49)
UnityEditor.Modules.DefaultBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args, UnityEditor.BuildProperties& outProperties) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Modules/DefaultBuildPostprocessor.cs:28)
UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup targetGroup, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target, System.Int32 subtarget, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height, UnityEditor.BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:370)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)
Build completed with a result of ‘Failed’ in 13 seconds (12571 ms)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessUnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 3 errors
at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (UnityEditor.BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x002cc] in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:193
at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (System.Boolean askForBuildLocation, UnityEditor.BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00080] in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:94
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)
Event (int,intptr,bool&) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Arnaud! I believe that you already found the solution to the problem in this post, but if not, you should be able to get past this error by adding a text string in the Location Usage Description field in Project Settings > Player > Other Settings. Hope this helps. Thanks, and apologies for the delayed response!

Original post:
Thanks for this information! This is not possible in newer builds of Unity (and the one in the video has no apple silicon builds). In my case (Unity 2021.3.19f1, M1 MacOS, build target iOS) I also received this error. However, in the package manager, the “Remove” button is greyed out, with the package manager entry stating “Installed as Dependency” so this is not possible for me.

Are there any other methods which would allow me to bypass this roadblock?

Solution (that worked for me):
Just click “Ignore” when you get the pop-up window notifying you, then ensure that your xcode requirements are met. This error combined with a low level xcode error for me which conflated the two things.

Hello Charles,

Thank you for posting your solution!

Just as a note, if you’re using the ‘Mobile’ feature, the Adaptive Performance package is included as a part of it (which is why you’re seeing the ‘Installed as Dependency’ message). You may also be able to navigate to ‘Mobile’ in your Package Manager and remove Adaptive Performance from there as shown below.

Regardless, I’m glad you found a solution, and thank you for posting it in case others have the same problem!