Unable to get human occlusion

Include the following details (edit as applicable):

• Issue category: Lightship Maps / Semantic Segmentation / Multiplayer / Real-time Mapping-Depth / ARDK Documentation / Unity Example Package / Sample App aka ‘AR Voyage’ / ARDK Virtual Studio Tools / Developer Tools / Networking / VPS / Scanning Framework
  • Device type & OS version: Android / iOS / Other Ex. iPhone 8+ on iOS 13
  • Host machine & OS version: Mac / Windows / Linux / Other Ex. Mac on Big Sur x.x
  • Issue Environment : Unity Remote / Unity Mock / On Device / Dev Portal
  • ARDK version: 3.2
  • Unity version: 2022.3.18f

Description of the issue:

I’m building an AR demo using Niantic Lightship ARDK. I’m excited to integrate 3D models with human occlusion, but I’m facing a puzzling issue.

While following the official documentation steps, the occlusion effect is working partially. While it does hide some objects behind people, it’s also occluding buildings, trees, and even the ground! This creates an unrealistic and jarring experience for users.

I’ve tried various approaches like:

• Using built-in occlusion functionality

Unfortunately, none of these seem to solve the unintended environmental occlusion.

I’m confident in my implementation and believe this might be a limitation or bug within the current ARDK. But before escalating to support, I wanted to tap into the collective brilliance of the Lightship community!

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any insights, workarounds, or alternative approaches would be immensely helpful. I’m even open to sharing my code snippets and a demo video if it aids the discussion.

Let’s collaborate to push the boundaries of AR development and create truly immersive experiences together!

Here are some specific questions I have:

• Are there known limitations regarding human occlusion in the current ARDK?
  • Has anyone successfully achieved precise human-specific occlusion in their projects?
  • What alternative techniques or libraries could I explore?
  • Any general advice or suggestions for tackling this challenge?

I’m eager to learn and appreciate any feedback you might have!

Hi mdzaid,

Could you share screenshots of the settings you have in the Inspector for the AROcclusionManager? Have you tried our occlusion extension that supports suppressing specific semantic channels? (https://lightship.dev/docs/ardk/how-to/ar/setup_real_world_occlusion/#improving-occlusion-quality-with-the-lightship-occlusion-extension).

Kind regards,
Maverick L.