Visual compilation errors since update 2.0.0

Hi guys,

Here are the details of the issue I am experiencing.

• Issue category: ARDK / Unity Package
  • Host machine & OS version: Windows
  • Issue Environment : Unity Editor / Visual Studio
  • Visual Studio version: Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022 17.2.2
  • ARDK version: ARDK 2.0.0
  • Unity version: Unity 2020.3.34f1

Description of the issue:

Since I updated my Unity project to ARDK 2.0.0, I’m getting errors when trying to compile with Visual (for debugging purposes). These errors are mainly in the ArdkTelemetry.cs file and the Google namespace.

I have not been able to find a solution so far on my own or on the forum.

Could you please help me?

Thanks in advance.
Belitharian.

Hello Belitharian,

When you updated your project to 2.0, how did you go about doing it? Did you delete all your old 1.3 files? If not this could be what is causing your project to malfunction.

Thank you for your reply.

Before importing the new version, I deleted the ARDK folder from my project.

Should I try deleting the Library folder?

Here is what you need to do. You must delete the ARDK folder, and the ARDKExamples folder, The ARDKMockEnvironments folder, and the MockMeshes folder. That should allow you to make a complete upgrade. You might also want to try updating to Unity 2021.3.3f1. Let us know if these suggestions work for you.

I deleted the ARDK folders from my project, deleted the Library folder and updated my project to Unity 2021.3.4f1. Unfortunately, I still have the same errors.

Hello Belitharian,

Could you post the error(s) that you’re running into so we can take a closer look?

Hi there!

Here the logs : https://pastebin.com/raw/67gR4TrX.

Sorry for the delay in responding, time zone difference!

1 Like

Hello,

For information, I tested with a new Unity project, I have the same errors when I compile.

1 Like

Hi Belitharian,

Thanks for providing your error logs and for being so patient while we look into this for you!

I wanted to start by clarifying a couple of things:

• Are you able to successfully compile and run this in unity or are you receiving the same error messages in the editor?
  • Aside from what you mentioned already in this thread, were there any other things that you tried? This will help us narrow down what the issue is.

While we continue to look into what might be going on, here are some things you can try if you haven’t already.

• Check for any Visual Studio updates in the package manager. In Unity, navigate to Window > Package Manager > Visual Studio.
  • Try to reimport all of your assets. You can do this in the editor by selecting Assets > ReimportAll.
  • Try regenerating project files. Go to Unity > Preferences > External Tools > click Regenerate project files.

Best,
Mar

Thank you for your reply :pray:

I will start with the three points you suggest I test. I have indeed already tested these three solutions (being a senior Unity developer :grin:):

• I have removed and reinstalled the Visual Studio Package from Unity.
  • I deleted the Library folder and reimported all the assets.
  • I deleted and regenerated the Visual Studio solution.

As for your questions :
I managed to compile successfully on the editor (I have no errors in the console) and my project builds without problems.

I haven’t made any other attempts, I’m running out of ideas :sweat_smile:

Thanks for your time!

FWIW I’m having the same issue trying to attach VS Debugger to the Unity Editor. I can build fine, but while I see the relevant Google libraries in the project, and iirc I can navigate to definitions via intellisense, VS refuses to acknowledge the Google namespace when I try to Attach, which cascades into dozens of other issues.

Unity 2021.1.3f1
ARDK 2.0.0 (new project, never used anything earlier)
VS is 2019 (16.11.13) which might plausibly be contributing.

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error CS0246 The type or namespace name ‘Google’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) ARDK D:\lightship\LightShip tanner\Assets\ARDK\Configuration\Internal\ArdkConfigInternalExtension.cs 5 Active

https://pastebin.com/raw/f0ym37dt
Looks like the same kind of issues as Belitharian, but in English

1 Like

Yes, these are the same mistakes!

Hi again Belitharian,

I appreciate your prompt response! We’re still researching a way to resolve this issue. Thank you again for your patience. I’ll be sure to reach out once we have more information.

Also @NNDev, Thank you for providing additional information as well!

Best,
Mar

Greetings everyone,

I’m here to check on the current topic. Have you found the origin of the errors? My presentation is suspended until I receive your feedback following your analysis.

Thank you for your understanding! :grin:

Hi Belitharian,

We are still looking into this. Thank you again for your patience! We will be sure to provide an update as soon as we can.

Best,
Mar

Hi Belitharian,

I wanted to give you a quick update. A bug report has been filed and we are continuing to look into this issue. As soon as we have an update we will be sure to let you know!

Best,
Mar

@Mar_McRae
I have the same problem with 2.0.0 too. It is possible for me to download the previous version 1.3.2 for development?

Hi Marco,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry to hear you’re also experiencing this issue. We don’t currently have an archive for previous ARDK versions publicly available. Also, from what I understand you should still be able to compile and build in unity. Is there a reason that you need it to compile in visual studio? I know there are some tools that are specific to vs, is this the reason or is it something else? More information can help us to know if this issue needs to be escalated further.

Best,
Mar

Hello,

I need Visual Studio for debugging purposes when there is an error. I have always used Visual Studio for my WPF, C#, .NET Core, Cpp projects.

Regards.

Hi all,
I think I’m a little bit confused on what the core issue here is. So let me start with what I assume the goal is:
How to debug a unity project on Visual Studio/Use break points for stepping through code
There are official instruction on how to do that here and here.
But in short here’s what worked for me.

1. Install Visual Studio and the “Game development with Unity” Workload
  2. Open the script you want to debug and add a break point wherever you want it to be.
  3. on the Debug Menu, select “Attach to Unity Debugger”

Select the Instance of Unity that will be running the code.
  4. On Unity press the Play Button.

This should hit the break point and let you inspect the script as normal.

Things to note here, since Unity debugger tools are dependent on both Unity and Visual Studio, versions might change/fix things, I just tested this today with versions with no issues:

• Unity 2021.3.5f1
  • Visual Studio Comunity 2022 (17.2.5) and Visual Studio Community 2019 (16.11.16)

Let me know if this was not the main point of the issue though. I did not reproduce the errors as I saw no need to actually build from Visual Studio (or VS Code/cmake). Or if updating to newer versions solved your issues.