Difference in mesh functionality between iOS and Android?

Include the following details (edit as applicable):

• Issue category: Meshing
  • Device type & OS version: Android vs iOS
  • Issue Environment : On Device
  • ARDK version: v1.1.0
  • Unity version: 2021.2.7f1

Description of the issue:

I’m finding that generating items onto a mesh, similar to the garden chunks example, doesn’t work the same way on Android as it does on iOS. For me, I get items generating on iOS but no items generate on Android. It seems to still be finding a mesh when I turn the mesh visible… but maybe the mseh isn’t quite as stable? I’ve tested on both a Samsung Galaxy S10+ and an older Pixel 2, both with similar results.

Is there a difference in how to handle meshing on iOS compared to Android? Any tips on meshing on Android that might help?

Hello Patrick,

Would you be able to share a video of the exp you are seeing between the two different Mobile OS’?
As an Android Engineer myself and keeping up with the mobile AR space since 2016, my first impression is that Android, unfortunately, is just not there yet in terms of technical maturity in this space compared to iOS. From working on iOS with multiple hackathons and AR applications, it seems like the AR tech there (ARKit) is more robust and further ahead than Android (ARCore).

Hopefully the difference in the exp is not a setback for you and your project!

1 Like

I’ll try to get some video comparisons tomorrow — I think even if the meshing isn’t quite as performant, as long as I can generate objects into the world space to some extent, it’ll be enough for the game for now. If I can’t get anything to generate… then the whole game won’t work on Android :sweat_smile:

I’ve got an idea around gradually reducing the min vertex count required to generate items… in case maybe vertex counts aren’t quite as high on Android?

Any other ideas also much appreciated, but I’ll have a video or two coming soon too in case that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is super anecdotal, but in general, a hearty +1 to @sorianog 's comment - I have a recent Pixel (4a), a recent iPhone and a recent iPad (pre-Lidar, though) which have cemented my longtime suspicion that ARCore doesn’t hold a candle to ARKit, not just in terms of standardized functionality (say, object recognition / face recognition) but also in terms of stability and robust core capabilities. If you want to post a link to an .apk, happy to test it on my Pixel 4, but I’m betting I’ll get the same results you did.
I’d love to A/B meshing (in-editor) on both devices to get a better intuition for potential API differences but I’ve never been able to get the remote app working🙃

Thanks! I’ve gotta try to get my latest version up on Android which adjusts the item generation a bit and see if it helps… will upload a video once I get a chance to do so!

Appreciate the offer of checking out an .apk, I may take that up at some point if I get super stuck and start questioning whether it’s just my devices!

1 Like

I have updates! It looks like meshing is indeed working now in my game! The way I handled it which seems to help is that I keep track of the number of elements spawned onto the mesh and if the number remains at 0, I decrease the min vertex count required to generate into locations on the mesh chunks. I think this has helped Android as the mesh might not be quite as detailed and might not be as stable as iOS?

Happy to report though that when doing this, I’m seeing at least something generating now on Android on both an old Pixel 2 and a Samsung Galaxy S10+!

So if you’re on Android and you’re not seeing anything coming up on your mesh — try reducing the min vertex count. Also just note that performance won’t be quite as smooth as iOS.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.