Mock multiplayer (Virtual Studio) tools, test as client and host?

Include the following details (edit as applicable):

• Issue category: Multiplayer / ARDK Virtual Studio Tools
  • Host machine & OS version: Mac M1 Ventura
  • Issue Environment Unity Mock
  • Xcode version:
  • ARDK version: 2.3.2
  • Unity version: 2021.3.20f

Description of the issue:

Hi, I’m currently working with the ARDK Multiplayer tools. How do I start a second editor game view so that I can not only test mock multiplayer in editor as the host but also the client peer?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Tobi

Hello Tobias,

This doesn’t seem to be a feature that Unity supports and assisting with this would be out of our scope unfortunately. You are able to open additional Game views by right clicking on the Game tab, selecting Add Tab, and then selecting Game but from my testing it appears that both tabs mirror each other which is likely not what you want.

ARDK can support something similar with mock players which you can read up on by following this link: Playing in Mock Mode — Niantic Lightship Augmented Reality Developer Kit release-2.5.1 documentation. Other than that, you can also try running your project in Mock mode on your Mac and building and running to your mobile device. If you need a specific device to run as the host and the other as a peer, this older discourse post has details on how to do that. These would be the only options we could officially provide and support.

If the above doesn’t fit your use case or needs, I did find this post on Stack Overflow from six years ago which covers a workaround to this which is something you can try but not something we officially support, your mileage may vary for how this workaround behaves with ARDK: c# - How to run two game windows in Unity Editor - Stack Overflow

Hi Jesus, thanks a bunch for your help :slight_smile:

What I meant specifically by that is exactly how it is shown in this video by CodeMonkey:

(Minute 24:00)

He has two views simulating the different players. The windows seem to open automatically. Would probably be a great feature to have in the future :slight_smile:

BR
Tobi

Hi Tobias,

Have you tried using the Netcode for Gameobjects by any chance? I do see that he says it’s Unity’s official solution. If so, what sort of incompatibilities did you run into?